Length of Internship: 3 months
Compensation: $300/month stipend. The intern will be responsible for all other expenses such as accommodation and travel (beyond direct work-related travel expenses)
Lynk is a technology startup established in 2015 which seeks to connect blue collar workers to employment in Kenya. At Lynk, we believe that the relationship between employers and informal workers is broken. We envision a world in which everyone can enjoy job security, fair wages, a safe work environment, and the opportunity for career growth. Additionally, for a household, hiring someone for a job should be safe, convenient, and fair. Our platform is designed to address each of these issues, offering a network of professionals that grows and improves over time. Our product offering is growing, with a breadth of exciting services:
- Lynk Requests: Matching verified professionals to bespoke requests in over 140 categories ranging from cleaners, to masseuses, to plumbers, and tailors.
- Lynk Discover: An e-commerce product enabling customers to re-buy high quality products and services purchased through the Lynk Request platform.
- Byld: A tech-based platform for the recruitment and management of workers on large construction sites.
- Lynk Projects: A project management service for small design and refurbishment projects.
The Product Design intern will work across the Lynk portfolio of products, supporting product design. S/he will use a background in product and/or human-centered design (HCD) to enhance the way our product offering responds to customers’ needs, as well as providing a more accessible and impactful user experience for workers on the Lynk platform. Depending on background, expertise, and interests, we will create a bespoke set of projects to focus on including the launch of either Lynk Discover or Byld. This will be a highly collaborative role, partnering with Product Leads, developers, designers, engineers, and partners.
The Product Design intern will gain significant experience in the design and start-up of a sustainable social enterprise, and will benefit from close mentoring from a senior leader within the Lynk team. Specific learning objectives include:
- Human-Centered Design in practice: Hands-on experience leading design activities based on consumer insights, including using co-creation and participatory approaches.
- Product design in a tech company: Working with developers and designers to develop product.
- Project management: Planning, day-to-day coordination of market research activities, and stakeholder management.
Ideal Candidate should Possess the Following Qualification:
- MBA or BA in Product Design or related field (Social Enterprise, etc)
- Training in, or experience using Human-Centered Design approach to product and business design.
- Entrepreneurial personality / self-starter – able to take responsibility and undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience in management consultancy a plus.
- Some international experience volunteering or engaging with an NGO or business would be beneficial
Living and Working at Lynk:
The position will be based in Nairobi. Life in Nairobi is cosmopolitan, with lots to do and amenities readily available. Viewed at the tech hub of Africa, and the center of social enterprise and impact investment on the continent, it is an exciting place to be. The office located in a quiet residential area near central Nairobi. As a company, we’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of developers, hustlers, planners, and doers. We provide the freedom and tools necessary for people to be comfortable and successful in their work and in return expect high performance and a culture of excellence. We value ambition, curiosity, candor and most of all an uncontrollable desire to create amazing things.
To Apply: Please send your CV and one example of related work to email@example.com by 8 May 2017